Madroña Zinfandel Month—May, 2012
One of the great aspects of the El Dorado appellation is that we, as vintners, have the opportunity to grow so many different varieties well, expressing the region’s unique terroir. Similarly exciting is the talent of chefs in the region showcasing the amazing dishes available in our own backyard.
With each Varietal Month, our hope at Madroña is to educate consumers by focusing on one particular variety the entire month. With facts, recipes, tastings and pairings, people can learn the ins-and-outs of each of the varieties.
May will be Zinfandel month for us. The highlights of this month include:
- Two Winemaker dinners
- Café Luna (Placerville)—May 6th and May 20th
- Maranello’s (Fair Oaks)—May 31st
- Wine pairings with our 2010 Hillside Zinfandel and 2008 Signature Zinfandels with selected dishes at local restaurants (including many recipes)
- A recipe designed specifically for our 2010 Hillside Zinfandel by Chef Sandra Simile—Middle Eastern Spicy Lamb Meatballs served with Pine Nuts and Herbed Couscous
- Zinfandel blogs explaining aspects of this great variety as well as how we work with Zinfandel at Madroña
- A Zinfandel question asked each morning on Facebook with the answer given in the evening
- A Zinfandel celebration in the tasting room pouring a different older vintage every day (1979-2008)
- Lastly, on weekends we will give the experience of tasting our 2007 Late Harvest Zinfandel with Mimolette cheese (tasting room only)
The idea is simple. Let people experience the wines of Madroña and the foods of El Dorado County while learning about grape varieties. If only all education could be this exciting!